Every weekend we get our families together and have an FCW dinner. It’s a really awesome time that we have to chat, hangout and watch Game of Thrones!
What we had planned on having this weekend was Paleo fried chicken, a fan favorite around here. Cara grabbed the bag that said, “coconut,” and went for it! However, she soon discovered that she was using shredded coconut instead of coconut flour. And, actually, it ended up being a happy mistake!
So, for dinner tonight we are having coconut crusted fried chicken. Here’s our recipe:
What you need:
- 20 Bone in, skin on chicken thighs (we shop at Costco and we eat a lot…..)
- 1 cup Coconut oil
- 1 cup Shredded coconut
- 1 cup Almond flour
- Sea salt to taste
- Smoked paprika to taste
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Liberally season the chicken thighs with sea salt and smoked paprika (I do this in the sink. I suggest that you use more salt than you think you need. It’s ended up not being enough in the past when making a similar dish)
- Melt enough coconut to cover the bottom of a baking dish; pour into the baking dish
- Put equal parts almond flour and shredded coconut into a bowl and “bread” the chicken thighs
- Drizzle coconut oil over the top of the chicken
- Bake chicken for 30 minutes, flip and bake for another half hour or until crispy*
*Save the drippings just as you would with bacon fat (You do save your bacon fat, right? Please say you do!) and use to cook with (vegetables, eggs, other meats, etc.)
To accompany this dish we had potato salad and green salad. This ended up being an extremely tasty dinner….and we are full!
We have yet to find a dish that we can’t make Paleo! Want us to Paleo your plate? Leave a comment a pick what our next recipe post will be!
Jill & Cara