Bacon has gotten a bad rap lately!
A recent study went after bacon and other processed meats for causing cancer. I just can’t hop on that bandwagon! I say, “more for me!”
Why so flippant?
When we look a little closer at the research we will find that the link between meat and cancer disappears when adjusted for vegetable intake.
This pie was inspired by a maple, bacon, pecan donut and is a fan favorite in our families! We won’t lie…when you are elbow deep in the crust you will be cursing us. This pie definitely takes some elbow grease and finesse, but the end result is worth it!
When we make something particularly good in our families we say that you can “taste the love.” We hope that you and your family can taste the love!
What you need:
1 C tapioca flour
3 C almond flour
1/3 C maple sugar
8 Tablespoons of cold bacon fat
3 slices of bacon crumbled
4 eggs, separated
5-6 medium apples (granny is best)
1/4 C maple syrup
5 Tablespoons tapioca flour
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Teaspoons cinnamon
*you will also need parchment paper or aluminum foil
What to do:
Preheat oven to 350
- Smash up the 3 slices of bacon and mix with bacon fat.
- Pour bacon mixture into a pan and freeze.
- In a large bowl combine tapioca and almond flour and maple sugar with a whisk.
- Cut the fat into small chunks and cut into flour mixture with a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl whisk egg yolks.
- In another small bowl beat the egg whites and set aside to brush on the crust.
- Add the egg yolk (not the whites!) mixture to the dry mixture and cut until incorporated.
- Gather dough into two balls. Form disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Meanwhile, prepare the filling!
- Once filling is prepared remove dough from the refrigerator. If one disk is slightly smaller, start with that one. Dust the dough and a piece of parchment paper with tapioca flour. Roll into a 10 inch round. Flip into a pie pan and pinch together as necessary.
- Brush bottom crust with egg whites.
- Pour in filling.
- Repeat step 9 with top crust. Pinch top and bottom crust together. Brush with egg whites. Sprinkle with coconut sugar if you have it. Save any extra crust to make pizza!
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples.
- In a large bowl combine apples, maple syrup, lemon juice, tapioca flour and cinnamon.
- Continue with step 9 above.
- Bake on center rack for 30 minutes.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Let pie cool before serving.
- Top with coconut whipped cream or ice cream!